Thursday, March 8, 2012

Query Letter Agony

Trying to write a query letter is the most excruciating thing I have undertaken yet.  For those who don't know, a query letter is basically 250 words to sell your 84,000 word YA fantasy novel to an agent or publisher.  If you want your novel to be published in the traditional way (meaning not just e-pub) you can't avoid the query letter.

I've posted several versions of my query for Avarice's Hoard on Agent Query Connect and for the most part agree with the critiques they have received.  My primary problem is that distilling the query down to just the core plot leaves too many questions about why JJ, my young protagonist, gets into such a predicament.  Like life, there is not just a single decision point but many that carry JJ ever deeper into the story.

I have spent several weeks working on the query letter, particularly now that I have finished the manuscript.  Unfortunately, I got so wrapped up in it I haven't been updating my blog ... or much else for that matter.  I promise to write the next segment of The Official Book of BS tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment