Friday, April 6, 2012

BASage24

Some folks recently asked me where @basage24 came from for my twitter account.  So here's the story in all its excruciatingly boring and geeky monotony.

  • BAS - This is the easiest part.  My initials.
  • age - I had a friend who once claimed you could turn any word into an adverb by adding the suffix -age.  Of course he was completely wrong and never used his newly created words as adverbs (which made it all the more humorous).  He used it for everything.  For example: one of our friends, let's call him Joe, was a terrible driver.  Whenever we would come across another terrible drive he would say something like, "Will ya look at this Joeage."  So when I first started setting up online accounts I thought it would be funny to use it with my initials.  Thus, BASage.
  • 24 - This is where my true geek comes out.  My favorite number is 4.  I just think it is an awesome number.  It is the first non-prime number you ever learn.  It is 2 to the second which means you use it a lot when working with binary. Ok, enough feeza-fama-fooma. When I played sports the smaller numbers went with the smaller jerseys. I'm a big dude so could never fit in the number 4 jersey and my geek mind had to find an alternative.  24 happens to be the product of the numbers 1-4 (1x2x3x4=24).  24 is also the first occurrence of a multiple of 4 in which 4 is one of the digits.  So that became my jersey number and I tacked it on the end of my online gaming accounts.
After using the account name for years with nothing but these shallow reasons I realized basage24 could have another meaning.  I have four children (another reason to like the number).  So now the account name is less about my favorites and more a reminder to do my best to be a sage to four children who are counting on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment